Thursday, February 1, 2007

Nitto Ultra Kaiju Series Jaiger - Monster X - 大魔獣ジャイガー

Of all the Nitto sofubi kaiju, the Ultra Kaiju Series Standard Jaiger is my clear favorite. Whoever sculpted it really got it right as far as Jaiger's expression and stance. I think the same artist probably did the Nitto Standard Zigra, Guiron and possibly Viras. These four out of the series feature the best detail and realisim.

If I were to pull on my statistical education and experience, I would postulate that there were more Jaigers produced than other kaijus in the Standard series. There are always some on Yahoo Japan, for at times half the cost of other similar vintage sofubi kaiju. Or it may just be that all the others are more popular. I have it on good authority that companies like Nitto and Bullmark did not keep records about production, so this will be nothing more than a theory.

Nitto's Ultra Kaiju Series had three sizes: Standard, Medium and Mini (also available as a Pendant...the same mini sofubi with an eyelet and a chain so that it could be worn). Unfortunately, Nitto did not make a middle size Jaiger, but the did make a mini (as seen above). I suspect the same sculptor that did the Standard Jaiger had his (or her) hand in this one as well.