Friday, December 28, 2007

MAC Secret Base - マッキー秘密基地


I've been having fun with this kit...its a re-issue of Imai's Ultraman Leo MAC Secret Base from 1974. I don't know when this re-issue was made, but more than likely it was before 2002.
The base houses the MAC space headquarters, some fuel tanks and a radar dish. But it also has places for all 6 MAC vehicles. Every square inch is used to launch one of the outlandish MAC rides. Even the base is on wheels!


Over the years, these secret base kits were downsized from their former versions. For instance, Imai's "Thunderbirds" base was motorized (with two motors!) that operated a number of actions on the base. The more recent version, like this MAC base, seems to be 100% "imagination" powered now.
I picked up my MAC base kits from Yahoo Japan, for less than $20 each. They are fairly easy to find now, and I think they will definitely increase in value over the years.